Monday, May 15, 2017

A Nice Drive in the Desert

As I had recently mentioned, and gentle reminders of bricks through my window from the blog's board of directors, I will do individual posts of the remaining movies I have seen.  And today is the first one I saw from 2015, Mad Max Fury Road.  There are a number of rumors floating around about the film which I can put an end to here and now.

Q: Is this a sequel to the third Mad Max movie?
A: There were only two real Mad Max movies, please don't tell me you actually saw the third one?

Q: I, um, no, what third movie?  I mean, is this film a sequel?
A: No, not really.  It is the fourth movie in the Mad Max franchise.

Q: Is it a sequel to Death of a Salesman?
A: No.

Q: Is it bigger than a bread box?
A: Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

Q: Hey, whose asking the questions here?
A: Okay, fine.

Q: Alright then, what about it being a sequel to The Grapes of Wraith?
A: Officially no, but technically, you could easily make that argument.

Q: Why are you answering questions instead of giving a review of the film?
A: Well, I actually have an answer for that question, but seeing your tone and attitude, I'm not going to answer you.

Q: Come on, please?  I'm sorry.  I want to hear your answer.
A: No.

Are they gone?  Good.  So while I have a few moments before the next question is asked I will give a review of Mad Max Fury Road.  It was nominated for ten Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director.  It won six, mainly the technical categories including one for Best Editing.  It was a surprise by many to hear when the Best Pictures were announced that it was one of the films nominated.  Or at least I was.

Well, they were right.  This is one of the best action adventure films I have seen in a long time.  The story isn't very complex, a futuristic post apocalyptic world where our main character is captured in the beginning and taken in as a blood bag for an injured warrior.  He eventually ends up with Furiosa, played by Charlize Theron, who is trying to escape from the great tyrant and takes his wives.  This leads to an all out crazy chase and fight in the desert.  Then they get to their destination and decide to turn back and deal with it all over again.  I know, not a very complex script.

But the special effects, the costumes, the makeup and the overall feel of the film is terrific.  A lot of work went into making these scenes and it shows.  Don't watch this to absorb a complex drama and contemplate the meaning of life.  Watch this to see some crazy car chases and super cool explosions.

Since this is the first of the nominated films of 2015 I have seen and posted about, it is the top film.  I have seen three others and will post on them next and don't be surprised, but Mad Max will fall down in the ranking.





Q: Wait, did I make it?  I made it, right?  There's the preview below, I must have made it in time.  You only put a preview at the end of your posts.
A: Okay, you made it.  What is your question?

Q: Um, great, I forgot.  I don't believe this, but I actually forgot.  Wait, I remember now!  Is there a way for people to sign up for your blog?
A: Thank you for reminding me.  That's right, I now have a gadget installed in the upper right hand corner.  Please enter your email address and you will get automatic updates of my next rant, or diatribe or harangue.



No comments:

Post a Comment