Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Oscar Predictions Part II or Son of the Oscar Predictions or The Revenge of the Oscar Predictions

Okay, so maybe I don't have my finger on the pulse of what is going on in the world of movies.  The funny thing is that as I was reading over my last post I was thinking, should I add The Imitation Game?  I decided not to and it was nominated.  I was right in my first assessment that there would be less than nine nominees.  And I did get five correct in my confident category and one in my may be category.

So for those of you who haven't heard yet, the eight nominations are:

American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

This is only the second time that eight movies have been nominated.  The last time was in 1932 when Grand Hotel won best picture and wasn't nominated for anything else.  (I'm trying to make Selma feel better).  I don't know what can be read from this except that it may be a very close year or one of these is a massive runaway blowout and the others are there just for show.

This now puts the all time list at 520 movies nominated and having seen two of the films on the list so far has me at 502 movies seen.  I do have The Grand Budapest Hotel on tape, so I will do a special hedging my bets post soon.  Add to that my special 500th watched film post and after I put up my annual competition with my wife on our Oscar picks, a very different direction for the blog.  Alright I'll tell you, it's not like anyone is reading this anyway.  I will then change the blog to Best Directors and go through what I have seen and start ranking them.

But since this is a sequel to my previous post, it has been discussed so far online that it is interesting that no major blockbusters were nominated.  American Sniper may reach that status since it was only in limited release for the past few weeks, but the other films are either independent or smaller budget films.  I am surprised that Unbroken or Gone Girl didn't nominated for best picture, although Rosamund Pike did earn her nomination for Best Actress.

So in another five and a half weeks on February 22nd the Oscars will air and hopefully I will have seen the next best picture before it is announced to try and start a streak.





No, not streaking, what is this 1974?  I saw 12 Years A Slave last year in the theater, oh never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment