Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Don't Feed The Bears

Following in the order as I've seen them, the next movie up to review is the 2015 Best Picture nominee The Revenant.  It was the top nominee that year with twelve nominations and winner of three awards for cinematography, a second Oscar for Best Director for Alejandro Inarritu, two years in a row, that is an epic John Ford type of victory, and a long overdue Best Actor for Leonardo DiCaprio.

Loosely based on the life of frontiersman Hugh Glass, which sounds like a Bart Simpson prank call, it tells the story of how Glass, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, is guiding fur trappers in 1823.  They are attacked by Indians and barely get away. At some point during their escape, Glass is attacked by a bear.  He barely survives and one of the trappers John Fitzgerald played by Tom Hardy who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, attempts to kill him.  He isn't successful but does kill Glass's son.  Of course he gets better, chases down Fitzgerald and ends with an epic fight.

The most exciting scene was when Leonardo DiCaprio was raped by the bear......excuse me, what, he wasn't raped?  Did you see the same film I did?  Hold on, hold on a second, thank you.  Sorry folks, but the blog's board of directors are interrupting my post.  They said that it was a fight between Leonardo DiCaprio and the bear.  There is one thing that we can agree upon, it was an epic fight. Check out this clip from the movie.



What do you mean that wasn't in the movie?  That looks a lot like Leonardo DiCaprio.  And I think I remember the bear wearing a hat.  Okay, fine, I'll look for the scene, but can I please get back to my post?  Thank you.

Anyway, this is a great movie.  The cinematography is amazing, which is why Emmanuel Lubezki won his third Oscar in a row.  The acting is fantastic, the clothing, everything.  It should have won Best Picture.  You really see how tough life was back in the early nineteenth century.  The battle scenes are so terrifying, you feel like you're in the middle of it.  And lets not forget the epic "fight" between the bear and Leonardo DiCaprio which I found and is right here for you to watch.



What, seriously?  I'm pretty sure I got the right clip.  Fine, I'll keep looking.  In the meantime I'll rank the films of 2015 that have seen.  And it is pretty obvious that this was the best of the films I've seen so far.  The Martian is second and Mad Max is now down to third.  And I think this is the right clip, if not, too bad and I'll correct it at some point.




2 comments:

  1. Love Yogi and the Simpsons:) I saw this film and thought it was excellent although a bit depressing. What I found amazing is the bear didn't exist! It was all done by computer which one would never guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the film too, and that scene with the bear had everyone squirming in their seats. When the bear was licking Glass's face, I wondered if the bear thought she was playing with him. Not! It was a great film.

    ReplyDelete